Wednesday 5 February 2020

Decision


Sometimes, when I wake up in the morning, I have no idea what to do for that day, go to work, do something to act busy, wait for the time to clock out, go home, then sleep. I know, that behavior is the example of a person who is not decisive. When I woke up, I didn’t decide or even think what I had to do, I didn’t decide what my plans for the day would be, I didn’t decide how to control the multiple variables that surround me so that I can lead a productive life.

Decisiveness is the characteristic of a productive Muslim – because only by making effective decisions will make me moving forward in my life. The more I linger, and let evil play with my mind, the more I’ll be slowed down and become unproductive.
I know that making a decision isn’t the most easy thing to do, especially since I’ll be responsible for the consequences of my decision. I know that it’s too comfortable not to make any decision and is actually very convenient to let others decide for me (after all, I will always blame others if things go wrong!). But is this how a Muslim should be? Is this why Allah s.w.t created my brain, my heart, and created logic, emotions and reason for me?

I try to search and finding the best method for making effective decisions. At least, even I'm not fully follow the method, maybe it may help each of us when we have no idea to decide the important decision in our life. 

1. Think!
You’ll be surprised how many people don’t think before they decide! And by thinking, I don’t mean spending few minutes staring at the ceiling waiting for a revelation to come! Thinking means brainstorming, analyzing, drawing from your experience of how best to go about a certain course of action and really taking the time to measure the implications of your decision. Always remember, the decision we made, will effect our future, our life or someone's else future. So, do the right and reasonable decision. 

2. Research/consult
You’ve done the thinking part, now you’ve tens of questions… no problem, do your research! Look around, ask around, and consult others, bounce ideas from family/friends and really exhaust every possible means of understanding the implications of your decision. Sometimes, we need to asked for others opinion. Maybe their thought may help or may change our way of thinking before we decide any important decision in our life. 

3. Istikhara
SubhanaAllah, Allah is so merciful to us, He knew that it would be hard for us to make decisions easily, so he opened a special lines of communication for us to Him when it comes to decisions.. it’s called Istikhara prayer! Just read this hadeeth carefully and understand its meaning:

On the authority of Jaabir Ibn ‘Abdullah he said: “The Prophet (peace be upon him) would instruct us to pray for guidance in all of our concerns, just as he would teach us a chapter from the Qur’an. He would say ‘if any of you intends to undertake a matter then let him pray two supererogatory units (two rak’ah naafilah) of prayer and after which he should supplicate:

‘O Allaah, I seek Your counsel by Your knowledge and by Your power I seek strength and I ask You from Your immense favour, for verily You are able while I am not and verily You know while I do not and You are the Knower of the unseen. O Allaah, if You know this affair -and here he mentions his need- to be good for me in relation to my religion, my life, and end, then decree and facilitate it for me, and bless me with it, and if You know this affair to be ill for me towards my religion, my life, and end, then remove it from me and remove me from it, and decree for me what is good wherever it be and make me satisfied with such."

You’re asking Allah – the One who knows everything about what’s best for you. If you’ve true certainty in your dua' do you think Allah will make you take a “bad” decision? Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) said, the one does istikhara will not regret! Imagine someone saying to you, I’ll give you a formula, if you follow it, you’ll never ever ever regret any decision you make! Will you take up the offer?!

4. Decide/Action
After you think, do the research, and asked for Allah s.w.t guidance, then what should we do? DECIDE! Take action! And jump into your decision full force taking every conceivable first step you can make, so that you can’t reverse your decision! You wanted to open a business, and taken the above steps, NOW open it and invest your money! You wanted to propose to a particular person and you’ve done the above, pick up the phone and call they now! Make the decision and act upon it quickly before shaytaan comes to whisper in your mind and puts doubt. Never delay any good decision you've decided. Just put trust on yourself and trust that Allah already open your heart to guide and help you to make the right decision.

5. Dua/Tawakkal
You’ve made the decision, taken some actions… it’s not over yet. Make dua and have trust in Allah. You may have made the right decision, but to follow through a decision correctly needs lots of dua', and trust in Allah s.w.t so don’t give up! And don’t regret decisions you’ve made after doing all the above, you only have 2 possible scenarios: either you’ve made good decisions and things are working great, or you’ve made a decision that challenged you which you can either learn from or you’ve learnt to overcome!

"But they plan, and Allah plan. And Allah is the best of planners." (Al-Anfal:30)

Yes, making decisions isn’t easy, but instead of dodging them and suffering the consequences in this life and hereafter, develop your decision making muscle by making decisions daily using the above steps – whether for small decisions or big decisions – just make a decision! Be brave! Be wise! Insyaa Allah, everything will go smoothly. 



In doubt, 
Qusyaimah Rosman


Reference: Productive Muslim


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great information n great method above for me to start contemplate n useful upon my decision making

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry. I just noticed your comment. Insyaa Allah. Every decision is not easy. The important thing is to think carefully, make your decision and then work to make your choice the right one. :)

      Delete